About 2 out of 10 people in the United States suffer from a sleep disorder and 60 million people have insomnia. Year after year, we sleep less and progressively become more stressed. And this is something that we must deal with.
We want everyone to have peaceful dreams and we have discovered some sleeping tricks that can improve your quality of life. Also, read possible reasons for back pain after sleeping at the end of the article!.
Best Sleep Hacks And Tips
10. Sleep On The Left Side To Improve Health
Our bodies appear symmetrical, but our internal organ placement is not. If we stay on the left side, the stomach and its gastric juices remain lower than the esophagus. So it reduces heartburn.
9. A Banana Nightcap Will Help You To Relax
- Cut the two ends of the banana and place it in boiling water. Boil 10 minutes.
- Use a colander to drain the banana water into a cup.
- You can add a little cinnamon to the banana water. Drink slowly before bed.
8. Try Staying Awake If You Have Insomnia
This may seem like a paradox, but a small study showed that insomniacs who were instructed to lie down in bed and try to stay awake with their eyes open fell asleep faster than others who were instructed to fall asleep.
7. Try Blowing Bubbles Before Sleeping
We are serious! Neurology professor Rachel Marie E. Salas recommends blowing bubbles. It works as a deep breathing exercise.
It can help you calm your body and mind. Also, during this activity, you can refocus any thoughts that may be bothering you.
6. Get Rid Of Any Clocks In Your Bedroom
The clock is an enemy that can stress you. Stop looking when you are in bed. If you’re worried about waking up at night, don’t check your phone.
It is best to place it under the bed or in a drawer. If you’re so concerned about sleeping too much or missing something, just make a to-do list before bed.
5. Get Up And Do Something When You Can’t Sleep
If you stay awake for more than 20 minutes at night, get out of bed! Do a simple relaxing activity, like putting together a puzzle or painting.
This is the advice of Professor Richard Wiseman. You need your brain to stop associating insomnia with your bed.
4. Light An Aromatherapy Candle
The power of the perfume is incredible, and if the stench can make you uncomfortable and awaken, some candles with the scent of lavender and chamomile candles can relax your mind.
Also, the soft candlelight will create a much more cozy atmosphere than a night lamp. But remember to blow out the candle before falling asleep or buy it in a special safety container.
3. Avoid A Stiff Pillow If You Sleep On Your Stomach
This can damage your neck and cause pain because a stiff pillow does not allow you to reach a comfortable angle. It is better to try to support a softer pillow just below the forehead, rather than turning the head to the side.
2. Use A Pillow And Blankets To Fill In The Empty Spaces
If you are a side sleeper and often wake up with pain in your shoulders and hips, you will probably need a special mattress. Your pressure points can suffer every night when you fall asleep.
The best mattress for side sleepers is soft on the shoulders and hips. But if you can’t buy one right away, fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress.
1. Try Square Breathing Before Sleeping
Square or box breathing can help you fall asleep faster! This technique is also recommended for those who want to reduce stress.
- Sitting upright, exhale slowly through your mouth. Focus on that intention.
- Slowly inhale through the nose while counting to 4 slowly in your head.
- Then hold your breath as you count 4.
- Exhale through the mouth with the same count up to 4.
- Hold your breath again at the same slow count down to 4 and repeat the entire process again.
You can use this method when you’re stressed and before bed. Focusing on breathing can help you relax your mind and stop thinking about your problems.
Why Do You Get Back Pain After Sleeping
If you often experience back pain after sleeping, there is a common reason for this:
- Sleeping position Try changing sides or sleeping on your back with a comfortable pillow.
- Bad mattress. It is important to invest money in a good mattress to avoid future problems with bad sleep, pain, and tiredness.
- The pregnancy. It is extremely common during this period. It can become more troublesome between the fifth and the seventh month.
- A natural result of aging and wear and tear on your body. In that case, it is better to consult your doctor.
Do you have a trick to sleep better? Share them with us and leave your comment below!