Plants give color and life to any space, purify the air and help us relax and feel at peace. In addition, maintenance is usually simple and inexpensive. That is probably why thousands of young people began to fill their homes with plants.
Also, when you live in a noisy area, in a city that never sleeps, being able to sit in a small garden or on a balcony decorated with different types of plants and flowers is one of those things that you simply cannot put a price on.
But for young people, especially Gen Y, it’s not just a hobby. Some of them even call themselves “plant parents”. Today we want to talk about why more and more young people prefer to have plants instead of children.
Plant Parents, The New Concept Of The Modern Family
The life changes, lifestyles, and challenges for young people today are not the same as many years ago when it was common to have large houses and large families with many children running around.
The pace of life is faster and faster, the big houses have been renovated and transformed into small apartments, and the running group of children was replaced by something quite unexpected: pets or plants.
This is how many young people between the ages of 20 and 39 prefer to live. Yes, today’s young people prefer to take care of “only” plants or animals instead of children.
Plant parents, as fans of this new trend define themselves, treat their plants as if they were people. In addition to ensuring your general well-being, they are also very involved in your growth.
They like to take care of them and develop a great love for plants. It can even be described as a paternal bond. Some even consider these plants to be their own daughters or sons and part of their own family.
More And More Young People Are Choosing To Own Only Pets Or Plants
In fact, 7 out of 10 millennials who took part in a survey said they would rather grow plants than children, given the current global climate crisis, general uncertainty, and instability in today’s world.
Ultimately, while it is true that a small plant requires some care and pampering, this can hardly be compared to the challenges of creating a small human being.
The data reflected in a recent study by OnePoll and Article on the attitude that these young people exhibit towards plants is a truly curious phenomenon.
53% of those surveyed said they started buying plants for their apartments or houses only for aesthetic and decorative reasons, while the other 47% did so simply to follow a trend.
Plants Are Not Only Decorative, They Also Benefit Us Psychologically
67% of those who participated in the survey said that growing plants was more difficult than they expected. This is not a surprise, as they generally had no idea what kind of care was needed before obtaining the plants.
In fact, 3 out of 10 respondents said that one of the most important lessons, and one of the first that a good plant parent should learn, is being aware of how easy it is to accidentally kill a plant.
For many of them, 3 out of 4 to be more precise, plants were adopted with the intention of having pets later. Plants seem to be just a way to test whether or not they are ready to do it and to see if they are responsible enough to have a pet at home.
“The research revealed the desire of millennials to incorporate plants into their homes, despite the apprehension and challenges associated with their care,” said Zoe Garred, Article’s director of product development.
In Addition To Making Your House Look Great, This Trend Is Fantastic For The Environment
In 81% of the cases, respondents said that having plants benefits them both mentally and physically. Additionally, 4 out of 5 said that caring for plants also helped them develop a greater awareness of self-care. In other words, they started taking better care of themselves.
While most young people said they started planting just to follow a trend or for aesthetic reasons, daily care, observing growth, and understanding that they are living things like us have made them realize that they really do consider them to be a part of their family. During the learning process, each new plant parent saw at least 7 of their plants die.
Perhaps that is why your concern for proper plant care has continued to grow. This, in turn, led them to investigate more and more.
For example, they want to know the exact amount of water and sunlight their plants need, the type of room and space they need, and even take into account the stress plants can experience when moving from one location to another.
What do you think? Do you have plants at home? Would you like to be the parent of a plant? Don’t forget to share this article to encourage everyone to bring a little more green love into their lives.